NOAA, the National Weather Service and the Hurricane Hunters will sponsor a public tour of Hurricane Hunter aircraft at Ellington Field on Monday, May 1, 2023. It’s all part of a Hurricane Awareness Tour open to the public.
What You Can Do:
Tour the NOAA-P3 and the USAF C130 Hurricane Hunter aircraft. Mingle with the pilots and air crews. Meet experts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center, including the newly appointed NHC Director Michael Brennan.
There will be numerous static displays including other aircraft and disaster response vehicles. The US Coast Guard will display a helicopter and flood boat.
Representatives from various agencies will pass out hurricane preparedness materials.
- Speak with hurricane forecasters
- Meet with local National Weather Service meteorologists
- Walk through exhibits from various agencies & organizations
- Learn about weather safety & preparedness
List of Booths:
- Nws Houston/Galveston
- Harris County Office Of Homeland Security And Emergency Management
- Harris County Flood Control District
- City Of Houston Office Of Emergency Management
- United States Army Corps Of Engineers
- USAA – United Services Automobile Association
- Flash – Federal Alliance For Safe Homes
- American Red Cross
Ellington Airport, near Hangar G
11210 Blume Ave
Houston, TX 77034
See this PDF for directions.
Public viewing period from 12:30 pm to 4 pm.
Gates close to entry at 3 pm.
Plan on about an hour to view the aircraft and displays.
Free And Open to All:
There is no charge to tour the Hurricane Hunters. This event is free and open to all as part of National Hurricane Preparedness Week, April 30-May 6.
For more details and directions, click here.
And remember, hurricane season is just weeks away.
Posted by Bob Rehak on 4/18/2023
2058 Days since Hurricane Harvey