0 0 admin admin2018-04-13 18:27:082018-04-15 03:43:14Humble ISD School Board authorizes 2017 reappraisals for taxpayers whose property flooded
Humble ISD School Board authorizes 2017 reappraisals for taxpayers whose property flooded
On April 10, 2018, Humble ISD adopted a resolution that supports 2017 Tax Year reappraisals for taxpayers whose homes flooded during Harvey. Any rebate coming to taxpayers will only cover from August 23, 2017, the date the Governor declared Harris County a disaster area, through December 31, 2017.
Other key points:
- The reappraisals and potential refunds will only impact Humble ISD taxes, not Harris County, City of Houston or any other taxing jurisdiction’s taxes.
- If Hurricane Harvey damaged your property, the Harris County Appraisal District will reappraise your property based on the physical damage your property received. You will receive a Disaster Reappraisal Notification letter in the mail from HCAD with your new market value.
- If you have not personally contacted HCAD to provide notification your property was damaged, contact HCAD immediately at www.hcad.org or (713) 812-5800 to ensure reappraisal of your property.
- Taxpayers will have the right to file appeals with HCAD if they disagree with the revised assessment.
- Most other taxable improved properties within the taxing jurisdiction’s borders will receive a Secondary Reappraisal Notification letter. This letter lets the property owner know that a jurisdiction in which he/she resides has requested reappraisal and HCAD does not have information to indicate that they were physically damaged during the disaster. If Harvey damaged your property and you receive one of these letters, contact HCAD immediately at www.hcad.org or (713) 812-5800 to ensure your property is reappraised.
- Humble ISD will prorate your taxes based on the new value from the date of the disaster, August 23, 2017, until December 31, 2017.
- Refund checks will come automatically; you don’t need to take any action.
- Refunds could arrive as early as December, 2018.
- Property owners should visit www.hcad.org or contact the Harris County Appraisal District at (713) 812-5800 if they have questions.
To read the full text of the Humble ISD’s policy, visit its web site.
By Bill Fowler, Co-Chair of the Lake Houston Area Grass Roots Flood Prevention Initiative
Posted 4/15/18, 229 Days Since Harvey