Two new schools in the Kingwood area are building up, not out. Hopefully, this trend will, in a small way, reduce the percentage of impervious cover and create room for detention ponds to capture stormwater runoff.
Earlier this week, I photographed Kingwood Middle School and West Fork High School construction. As of mid-August, the structural steel work for both is almost complete.
Kingwood Middle School Replacement
The site looks crowded now, but when the new three story facility is complete, athletic fields and a giant detention pond will replace the old facility.
To see the progress, compare the pictures above to those in previous posts.
Humble ISD has set the target opening date of the new KMS for 2022.
New Caney ISD West Fork High School
Several weeks ago, New Caney ISD named its third high school the West Fork High School. It too will be a three story structure, and is going up between Sorters-McClellan Road and US59 south of Kingwood Drive.
Note the football field and track taking shape in the left middle of the frame and the field house still going up next to it.
To see the progress, compare the pictures in these posts:
- New Caney ISD began clearing the site in June 2020.
- In November 2021, contractors began pouring concrete..
- By January 1, 2021, the site was totally cleared, the detention pond was excavated and contractors were still pouring concrete.
- By late March 2021, most of the concrete had been poured and grass had been planted in the detention pond.
- By May 2021, walls started going up.
- By July 2021, most walls were up and roofs were going on.
New Caney ISD expects to complete construction by the summer of 2022.
Posted by Bob Rehak on 8/20/2021
1452 Days since Hurricane Harvey